mercoledì 31 agosto 2011

Ganesh Chaturthi

The statue of Ganesh that I bought
and I have not thrown in the water
This year the Ganesh Chaturthi (or Vinayaka Chaturthi) is on the 1st of September. This is the festival for the birthday of Ganesh, the elephant-headed god, son of Shiva and Parvati.
Ganesh, I mentioned here and here, is particularly revered throughout India, as a benevolent God who can solve problems and overcome all difficulties.
During the celebrations,  all kinds of festivals and religious rites are taking place in Indiaand  in Mumbai in particular.
At the end, many statues of Ganesh are carried in processions. They are small statues or towering statues that typically exceed ten meters, made ​​of plaster or clay and richly decorated, which - after the procession - are thrown into rivers or - as in the case of Mumbai - the sea, where they dissolve.
The first time I attended this festival, I found impossible that those beautiful statues were intended to destroy  and which I bought (small), I didn't threw into the sea, but I still have it.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento