mercoledì 18 maggio 2011

Hinduism and Christianity

Puja
A friend asked me what is the difference in practice between Christianity and Hinduism. Beyond the rites, celebrations, beliefs, specifically what differentiates a Christian from a Hindu.
It is obviously a huge demand which I cannot give an answer, there are many aspects that make the two religions distant from each other and many even those that make them similar.
However I could not help but go back to read the wonderful "Pilgrimage to the sources " of Lanza del Vasto.
This is the diary of an ‘epic’ journey that Lanza del Vasto made ​​in India in 1936 to drink from the wellspring of all religions and all spirituality.
The Italian pilgrim meets an Hindu ascetic and stops a few days in his ashram at the foot of the Himalayas. By the time to go away he was invited to stay to meditate with shadu too, but he refuses.
"In me is Christian restlessness - he says - that, however imperfect, I prefer to perfect peace proposed by this wise man.
The good that I seek is not peace of the deep sleep but the ravings of the soul in love. I don’t think I have the right to seek salvation by myself and for myself. I must go thraough the good of others to get to my good and I believe that charity is worth more than wisdom.
For this I am going to Gandhi, to learn how to become a better Christian."

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento